This summer, Empowered STEM is launching a new, innovative approach to professional development. Based on an intensive review conducted by a team of experts, our professional development workshops have changed to focus on expanding educators’ suite of skills (Project Management, Course Planning, Student Assessment, Youth-Adult Partnerships, and Civic Engagement) that produce the outcomes they want for their students.
If you have wondered how project-based strategies can build tangible student skills or have wished you could engage your students in authentic issues impacting their lives – these workshops are for you. Learn more about upcoming sessions.
Three or Six-week initial workshop: Educators will participate in a three- or six-week summer workshop to learn about the Community Action and Problem Solving Process and develop the skills to successfully implement it in their classroom. This workshop will combine synchronous and asynchronous learning, engage educators in the design of tools to use in their classroom, and provide support from educators who have used the program in their classroom.
This innovative approach to learning is different than what you will find at any other PBL organization. Here’s why:
Short sessions with time to plan and reflect
- Shorter sessions provided over time increase between-session learning
- Creates time for participants to work with peers
- Easier to fit into your schedule
- Let’s be honest – No one wants to sit on a video call for four hours!
Focused on virtual classrooms
- Focuses on skills educators need to facilitate student driven learning
- Provides structure for synchronous student guided learning
- Provides tools to support asynchronous discussion and decision making
Draws out student passions to drive learning
- Leverages students’ passions to drive learning
- Builds students’ sense of self-efficacy to deal with unknown problems
- Increases the chances that your students will be lifelong participants
Eight Month Support: Earth Force staff will remain with educators as they facilitate a project in their classrooms. Our experienced staff is here throughout the year to answer questions, help develop plans, troubleshoot challenges, and help them connect to the outside world. We are here to help educators expand their classroom toolbox and discover unique ways to address challenges.
Customized Training for Schools: We will work with school districts to develop custom professional development for their educators. This workshop will mirror those provided above with a unique emphasis on issues in your community that could be of concern to your students.